In this unique episode of Jim on Engineering, Jim Shaw, Alan High, Will Byers, and Mike Steffen discuss what is happening on a motherboard, in terms of chips and functionality that they provide. They will answer the question: How do these chips work together to create the server class motherboard that we apply to various applications today?
First up: the central processing unit (CPU)
- An integrated circuit that is the primary processing component in a computer.
- High speed, complex computation
- High speed interfaces:
- DDR (Memory)
- DMI, UPI, HyperTransport, Infinity Fabric
- Hardware virtualization support (Intel VT, AMD-V)
- Crypto acceleration (AES-NI)
- Specific security features:
- Intel SGX
- BIOS Guard
- BOOT Guard
- Total memory encryption